2014

2014
Black Canary, Coffee Time, Starlet, Pinkie Pie, Pearl

Monday, March 16, 2015

Vintage Coffee: 1952 Design


I call it my coffee dress, or sometimes my white rabbit dress because I wore an Alice in Wonderland watch necklace and my scarf looks like bunny ears. Either way, this dress was my first original design, a little day dress based off of early 1950s styles. It's made of a simple, lightweight printed cotton and features a pleated skirt, a two part bodice with slightly gathered cups, and a row of antique brass buttons running down the front.


I love this dress. Not only was it simple to make, its flexible to wear. I can just as easily wear it on a lunch date as to an interview. Or in this case-waiting for my lover at the train station. I was lucky to have a wonderful photographer to do this photoshoot with me. Jae Yi is amazing. He not only is a great photographer, he encourages me to get my designs out there and accept commissions for them, and he understands that when I do photos, I'm not just taking pictures of a dress-I want to capture a character. So when I sent him pictures of it, he immediately suggested the train station on 5th St. here in Richmond. It's a beautiful, historical building downtown that still runs , and being inside immediately sucks you back into an earlier era. He's a true gem. I encourage everyone  to check out his website, and if you're in his area and need anything at all (family photoshoot, wedding, band gig, school portrait) don't hesitate to call him.

No comments:

Post a Comment